Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is atheism more logical than belief in God?

Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    There are stories of resurrection of the dead in other religions. Do you believe that Sambandar raised Poompavai from the dead? Or is that just a silly Hindu story?
    No more than any other human legend ...apples and oranges......

...and as I said, his main argument is fundamentally flawed. You also have an opinion on global warming and the myth that the media leans left. Should anyone be shocked that you're just as misguided in your interpretation of this video? So yes, I have countered that observation. You may choose not to believe it...I can live with that.

And for the record, not believing in a god, God or gods, takes no leap of faith whatsoever. Oh really? Tell us then, when did the concept of time begin? Was it just before the Big Bang? And did time exist before the Big Bang? And if science says the universe is constantly expanding, what is it expanding into? How much of a leap of faith does it take to believe that science will ever or could even answer those questions? That includes those ridiculous unicorns. As for the unicorns, I confess that I am beginning to believe more in their existence than in you ability to conduct an honest debate. Just say'n.
    As I've said, I had no intention of convincing anyone of anything. On the other hand, for someone to simply discount the easily understood video's premise is simply being disingenuous, most likely because of an inability to come up with an argument that goes anything beyond contesting the existence of unicorns. There was nothing flawed in this guy's argument.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmanoftheward View Post
    No more than any other human legend ...apples and oranges......
    Well, they're both fruit.

To a Hindu I'm sure they feel the story of Christ's resurrection is simply a human legend as well.

The fact is, humans have come up with literally thousands of gods throughout history and they were all quite sure theirs was the true god.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner View Post
    As I've said, I had no intention of convincing anyone of anything. On the other hand, for someone to simply discount the easily understood video's premise is simply being disingenuous, most likely because of an inability to come up with an argument that goes anything beyond contesting the existence of unicorns. There was nothing flawed in this guy's argument.
    Honest debate? You fail to even acknowledge the fundamental flaw that I pointed out. I understand the video just fine. It's an easily understood premise, but that doesn't make that premise fundamentally flawed.

Just because we don't understand everything about the universe, doesn't mean that the obvious answer is that it was created by a sentient being. The obvious answer is that we don't know.

Honest debate? You fail to even acknowledge the fundamental flaw that I pointed out. I understand the video just fine. It's an easily understood premise, but that doesn't make that premise fundamentally flawed.

Just because we don't understand everything about the universe, doesn't mean that the obvious answer is that it was created by a sentient being. The obvious answer is that we don't know.
    All you're doing is changing the point of the video to fit your explanation. At least you understand that there are things about the universe that science will never be able to explain. Since these issues can and never will be explained, however, that is why it is illogical to believe they ever will be. Consequently, it takes at least as much faith to believe science can or will ever be able to answer questions about the universe as it does to believe in God. Apparently the only thing that disrupts the logic of this argument for you is the unicorn thing. Sorry, can't help you with that any more than than I can let you know where the stuff came from that blew up in the big bang.

That's the argument I see being made in the video. Simply put: It is illogical to believe that science will ever be able to answer questions about the universe. Not sure what you're arguing about.

All you're doing is changing the point of the video to fit your explanation. At least you understand that there are things about the universe that science will never be able to explain. Since these issues can and never will be explained, however, that is why it is illogical to believe they ever will be. Consequently, it takes at least as much faith to believe science can or will ever be able to answer questions about the universe as it does to believe in God. Apparently the only thing that disrupts the logic of this argument for you is the unicorn thing. Sorry, can't help you with that any more than than I can let you know where the stuff came from that blew up in the big bang.

That's the argument I see being made in the video. Simply put: It is illogical to believe that science will ever be able to answer questions about the universe. Not sure what you're arguing about.
    I don't know if it's illogical to believe that science will never be able to answer these questions. Who knows what discoveries science will unveil. What science has accomplished just in the last 200 years is amazing. We've come farther than any of the early scientists could ever imagine.

But the argument of the video isn't that science will never know the answers and that belief in God is just as rational as non belief. Its argument is that it's "far more rational" to believe it was created by god. That's where I think it's flawed.

I don't know if it's illogical to believe that science will never be able to answer these questions. Who knows what discoveries science will unveil. What science has accomplished just in the last 200 years is amazing. We've come farther than any of the early scientists could ever imagine.

Let's just say we can be pretty sure that science will never be able to tell us when time began or what the universe expands into, shall we? BTW, isn't it illogical to believe science ever will be able to answer those questions? Just say'n.

But the argument of the video isn't that science will never know the answers and that belief in God is just as rational as non belief. Its argument is that it's "far more rational" to believe it was created by god. That's where I think it's flawed.
    In truth, belief in God is just as rational as non belief. The non-believers point to only those things that can be explained by science, and yet they admit there are things about the universe that are impossible for science to answer. To believe in science as the ultimate truth you have to have faith that it is capable of answering questions even scientists admit can never be answered. And that is just as illogical and irrational as believing In God.

In truth, belief in God is just as rational as non belief. The non-believers point to only those things that can be explained by science, and yet they admit there are things about the universe that are impossible for science to answer. To believe in science as the ultimate truth you have to have faith that it is capable of answering questions even scientists admit can never be answered. And that is just as illogical and irrational as believing In God.
    ...except this so called faith in science is actually a belief in demonstrate-able theory and the scientific method. The scientific method is a quest for knowledge based on empirical data and evidence that can be measured. Not faith at all really. Belief in god on the other hand requires faith. Science can extrapolate and theorize based on evidence...but that doesn't require faith. Perhaps faith in physics, but then again, physics is based laws that can be demonstrated and proven. Science also rarely makes assumptions or claims of certainty. Theories are developed and are open to further scrutiny and peer review. Again, faith in god is based on none of these concepts...merely faith and the words of other written thousands of years ago and translated many times.

Mossfern
    There are stories of resurrection of the dead in other religions. Do you believe that Sambandar raised Poompavai from the dead? Or is that just a silly Hindu story?
    Hello Common Sense.
    Thanks for making a point I try to make often.

On the other hand, do you believe that there is an absolute truth, or that there is an organizing force in the universe?